Mac & Cheese – oat milk
Here's my take on the traditional macaroni and cheese but made with oat milk, which is excellent for anyone lactose intolerant. I have included cheddar and parmesan as they are low in lactose for people following a FODMAP diet. I still love the real cheese flavour.
If you want to tweak the recipe to make it vegan-friendly are vegan try swapping for vegan cheese. This is a delicious tasty hearty meal for winter dinner or meatless Monday. Serves 4-6.
- 300g macaroni pasta (cook for 6 mins)
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1 tablespoon butter (olive oil for vegan)
- 1 teaspoon french dijon mustard
- 500ml oat milk (swap out for lactose free milk or oat milk)
- 250g grated cheddar cheese - reserve 80g (1 cup for layering)
- 50g grated parmesan cheese or pecorino, 30g in sauce, 10g middle, 10g top
- bunch of flat leaf parsley
- 1/4 cup Panko bread crumbs or sour dough bread broken in small pieces
- paprika sprinkle
- 10g parmesan cheese + 40g grated cheddar cheese
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
- Preheat the oven to 200˚c.
- Cook the pasta for 6 minutes in boiling salted water and then drain once cooked.
- Melt butter in a saucepan and add flour to make the roux.
- Slowly add the milk, and continue to stir. Once all the milk has been added, season with salt and pepper, add the mustard, nutmeg and 170g cheddar cheese and 30g grated parmesan cheese
- Add a little chopped parsley now and the cooked macaroni and stir gently until combined.
- Grease or spray with oil your glass rectangular baking dish (I use my small 19cm glass baking dish).
- Add half the macaroni and cheese, top with a little more of both cheeses, then add the remaining pasta, finish with breadcrumbs, final sprinkling of both cheeses and sprinkle with paprika.
- Baking for 12-15 minutes until golden brown on top.
- Serve with steamed greens for a touch of healthy goodness.