I love a bowl of wholesome lentil soup for a quick and nutritious dinner. For anyone wanting to get organised and do meal prep. on the weekend, this could be prepared and left in the refrigerator to have during the week. Lentils are rich in protein alternative for vegan or vegetarian diets. It is a great way to have immune-boosting vegetables in your diet, and a good way of using up any old or limp vegetables. You can tweak the ingredients and spices to include what you have on hand. According to Dr Greger nutritional facts expert, including three serves of beans, lentils or chickpeas in your daily can help significantly reduce 'bad cholesterol' and therefore the risk of cardiovascular disease. Have a look at this video lentils top the list – https://nutritionfacts.org/video/benefits-of-lentils-and-chickpeas/
- 2-3 small sweet potatoes chopped
- 1 chopped courgette (zucchini)
- 1-2 chopped carrots
- 2 small sticks celery (optional)
- handful kale or greens
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 1 tsp dried thyme
- 1 tsp dried basil
- handful of torn fresh basil or chopped fresh parsley
- 1 small onion chopped
- 1.25 litres of vegetable stock ( 1 use 2 crushed stock cubes in water)
- 400g tin of crushed tomatoes
- 1 cup (250ml) passata (tomato puree)
- Sauté the onions and garlic for a few minutes, add in the diced carrots and celery and cook for a few minutes.
- Add in all the dried spices and cook for 1-2 minutes.
- Then add tomatoes, stock and lentils.
- Bring to the boil then simmer for 20-30 mins until all the vegetables are tender.
- Before serving add in the greens. Serves 4-6 with a salad or bread.