Lemon & Poppy Seed Muffins: 2 ways gluten-free vegan and spelt flour
These lemon and poppy seed muffins 2 ways are not super sweet, moist and easy to make. The first muffin recipe is a gluten-free vegan option, and the second is spelt flour lemon and poppy seed muffin with eggs. Both these lemon and poppy seed muffins taste delicious. I share my secret to making these muffins moist is the oil and buttermilk.
Takes = 20 minutes
Bakes = 20 minutes
Makes = 12-16
- Spelt Flour or Buckwheat flour (or your choice) – 200g (1 +1/3 cup)
- Baking powder – 1 tsp
- Bi Carbonate of Soda – 1 tsp
- Salt – 1/4 teaspoon
- Buttermilk – 200ml oat milk + 1 tbsp of lemon juice
- Caster Sugar (or coconut sugar works well too) – 150g (3/4 cup)
- Flax Eggs/ or Eggs – 2
- Sunflower Oil or melted butter – 90ml (1/3 cup + 2 tsp)
- Poppy Seeds – 20g (2 tb)* revised 15.1.23
- Lemon juice of half of a lemon
- Zest of one small lemon
Lemon Drizzle Glaze/Icing (optional) is enough for 24 muffins
- Sifted Icing sugar*– 100g (3/4 cup)
- Lemon juice – 1/4 cup
- Preheat the oven to 180˚C fan. Prepare your muffin tray, either grease or add paper cases, of baking paper cut into muffin liners.
- EGGS – prepare flax eggs with 2 tbsp ground flax seeds mixed with 6 tbsp of water and rested for 15 mins to thicken.
- BUTTERMILK – add 1 tbsp of lemon juice to your preferred milk to sour and thicken into buttermilk. Rest for at least 10 minutes.
- WHISK all dry ingredients together in a large mixing bowl; sugar, flour, baking powder, bicarbonate of soda, salt and poppy seeds.
- MIX oil, eggs or flax eggs and milk, extra lemon juice and lemon zest in a glass jug
- COMBINE wet and dry ingredients together
- SCOOP out the mixture with an ice cream scoop into your prepare tray, and fill to about 3/4 full. I like my muffins on the smaller side, so feel free to load up more if you want larger muffins.
- BAKE for 15 mins
- COOL for 5-10 minutes before icing.
- MIX sifted icing sugar and lemon sugar together until smooth. Chill in the fridge for 20 minutes. This is more of a glaze than an icing. Feel free to add more icing sugar and 2 tbsp of butter for a thicker icing.
- ONCE the muffins have cooled slightly using a metal spoon drizzle a glaze of lemon icing over the top. You could poke holes with a skewer for the glaze to soak through or just drizzle on top.
- STORE in a sealed container at room temperature for 1-2 days. These are best eaten on the day, however, they freeze well for up to a few months.
Sue Maree P Baking Tips and Options
- VEGAN OPTION to make vegan swap out eggs for flax eggs and use non dairy butter.
- SUGAR – no refined sugar - use 1/2 apple sauce and 1/2 maple syrup
- BUTTER –no butter – non dairy butter or sunflower/ vegetable oil
- GLUTEN FREE – use almond flour, buckwheat flour or gluten free flour
- HOMEMADE BUTTERMILK – 1/2 milk, 1/2 natural yoghurt, or milk plus either lemon juice or white vinegar or apple cider vinegar.