While on holiday this year my husband Glen had a birthday. Limited by ingredients and equipment I managed to whip up a delicious La Torta di Prugne e Pistachio in english; Plum and Pistachio Cake with spelt flour. The birthday boy was very happy so I thought I would share the recipe with you. I could only buy the tiny purple oval Italian plums, white spelt flour and chopped pistachios.
- White Spelt flour – 200g 2 cups
- Pistachios finely ground or small pieces – 1/4 cup 50g
- Unsalted butter melted – 115g (1/2 cup)
- White sugar – 150g (1 cup) + 2 teaspoons (on fruit before baking)
- Baking powder – 2 teaspoons
- Salt – 1/4 teaspoon
- Vanilla extract – 1 teaspoon
- Ground cinnamon – 1/2 teaspoon
- Natural or Greek yoghurt – 1 tub, 120g 1/2 cup
- Lemon zest – 1 teaspoon
- Large eggs – 2
- Small Italian plums halved and stones removed – 12 to 16 depending on size
- Sprinkle chopped pistachios to serve
PREHEAT Oven – 160˚C fan 180˚C. Then grease and paper line rectangle tray bake or square cake tin or round 23cm (9 inch) * you may need to adjust the cooking time. Melt butter gently in a small saucepan or in the microwave, then allow to cool slightly.
WHISK flour, pistachios, baking powder, cinnamon, salt
MIX all liquids cooled melted butter, yoghurt and eggs and lemon zest and milk if needed and in sugar. Careful to not over mix.
POUR out batter, spread evenly then add the halved prunes upside down cut-side down. Sprinkle with sugar
BAKE 35-45 mins. Cool slightly before removing from the cake tin. Sprinkle with extra chopped pistachio's to serve, and dust with icing sugar if desired.