Italian Jam Tart with Spelt Flour (Crostata di Marmellata con farina farro)
In Italy, jam tarts are called Crostata di Marmellata is often served at breakfast and are readily available at Pastry shops (Pasticceria) and even supermarkets. After a recent trip to Italy, I wanted to test a recipe for a jam tart with wholegrain spelt flour I have made this recipe with spelt flour and strawberry jam however, please add the flour and jam of choice. My recipe includes brown sugar to add moisture to the wholegrain spelt flour if you swap out the flour for white flour you could use white sugar.
Takes (prep.) = 10 mins
Bakes = 35 mins
Makes = 1 tart 8 to 10 serves
Equipment = tart tin 22 cm (8.5 inch)
- Spelt Wholegrain Flour – 300g (2 cups + about 3 level tbsp)
- Cold Butter – 150g (1/2 cup + 2 tbsp)
- Pinch salt
- Light Brown Sugar (makes the dough moist) – 130g (1/2 cup + 2 tbsp)
- Egg - 1
- Egg Yolks - 1
- Lemon zest from 1/2 lemon
- Baking powder – 1/2 teaspoon
- Jam of choice – 1 x 370g jar
- Icing sugar to serve
RUB the flour*, salt and butter with the finger tips. Then add sugar, eggs, and lemon, baking powder to form the dough. Cover with plastic wrap or baking paper then chill in the fridge for 30 minutes.
PRE-HEAT the oven 170°C fan, 325˚F, Gas 3 and grease your 22cm (8.5 inch) tart or flan dish.
ROLL the chilled dough 3-4mm thick. Place in tin 22cm cut off excess. Prick with fork holes to let steam out, add jam of choice, cut strips for the top about 6-8.
BAKE for 35 mins. Once cooked and golden cool the jam tart slightly for 10 minutes remove the outer ring then cool for an extra 1-2 hours before cutting then sprinkle with icing sugar to serve. It is even better the following day.
Sue Maree P Baking Tips
- Wholegrain Spelt Flour – for a lighter texture try sifting the flour to remove some of the larger bran bits
- Vegan – to make this recipe vegan try oil instead of butter and add in flax egg