How to make Spelt Flour Waffles
Have you ever wondered how to make spelt flour waffles? Here's my easy spelt flour waffle recipe. Fantastic breakfast treat to make these waffles at home. They are super easy to make if you have a waffle maker. Simply mix some batter, pour it on the cooking plates, close the lid and wait a while. In a matter of minutes, you'll have fresh, golden brown spelt flour waffles ready to eat. I like them with vanilla ice cream and raspberries. Did you know that Norwegian waffles are slightly thinner than Belgian waffles?
- 250g (3 cups) spelt flour or regular flour
- 115g (1/2 cup) butter melted (or vegan butter)
- 2 eggs (vegan use flax egg)
- 1.5 cups milk*
- 1/2 cup sour cream*
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 40-60g (5 dessert spoons) sugar
*you could swap out the sour cream for yoghurt or make buttermilk by adding 1 tablespoon to 1.5 cups of milk. For vegans use plant-based milk and add vinegar.
- Melt your butter on the stovetop or in the microwave for 20-30 secs.
- Add melted butter to the milk, then add the sour cream.
- Beat in the eggs one at a time until combined. Then add the vanilla.
- Then mix in all the dry ingredients and gradually add them to the milk mixture.
- Continue to mix until you have a smooth consistency. If the batter is too thick add more milk.
- Preheat the waffle iron, if it's not a non-stick maker then add melted butter, you can skip this step if you have a non-stick maker. Add a few spoonfuls of your batter to the waffle iron, be careful not to overfill, as the mixture will run out the sides of your maker (I did this the first time). Tip leave a 1cm border around the maker then there's room for the batter to grow once the lid is pressed down. Cook for a few minutes until golden brown 3-4 minutes. If you prefer a softer waffle, cook at a lower temperature. For crispy waffles cook on the highest setting for a few minutes. You may need to test this a few times to check how you like them.
- Serve with vanilla ice cream and berries or syrup. Makes approx. 6–8 round waffles.