Have you ever wondered how to make pizza dough from scratch at home? Simple ingredients: flour, water, instant yeast and salt. That's it.
This pizza dough recipe makes 5 x 12-inch pizza bases. I will add notes below for how to make three pizzas.
We love Neapolitan style pizza and wanted to have fresh, hot, crispy pizza at home from scratch.
After testing many recipes, this is now our weekly easy pizza dough recipe that I wanted to share with you.
In my video, I share my favourite pizza-making tools to make the perfect pizza at home and the best way to store the pizza balls overnight.
Takes = 2 hours approx.
Makes = 5 pizzas
Ingredients: 5 balls 240g each (12 inch pizzas)
(for 5 dough balls/medium pizzas - approx. 240g per dough ball)
- Strong white Bread Flour – 750g
- Instant Yeast – 1 pkt x 7g (2 tsp)
- Warm water – 480ml
- Salt – 16g salt
- time at 1 to 2 hours (*update July 2021 – this will be less time if it's summer or your house is warm)
Ingredients: 3 balls 240g each (12 inch pizzas)
- Strong white Bread Flour (you could use regular flour but it won't taste as good) – 450g (2.5 cups)
- Warm water – 250ml to 280ml (1 cup + 1/4)
- Instant yeast – 4g (1 tsp)
- Salt – 10g (about 1.5 tsp)
- MAKING THE DOUGH: Add flour and salt into a large bowl and mix.
- Add yeast and warm water and mix on low with a dough hook for 5 minutes. If you don't have a stand mixer use a wooden spoon or mix gradually with your hands.
- Check and mix again on low until combined then increase the speed to medium for another 5-10 minutes if needed.
- If it looks too dry add a little more water, if it looks to wet add more flour.
- Remove and flour your surface and need slightly to make a large ball, you make need a little flour if the dough is too sticky to work with.
- Place your dough ball in a large bowl dusted with a little flour, and cover with a damp cloth or place in a large container with a lid.
- Rest in a warm place for 1 to 2 hours until it has doubled in size. This will vary depending on the temperature of the room. If it's summer it could take less time and if it's winter it may take up to 2 hours.
- Remove and place back on your dusted surface and divide with a dough scraper into 5 equal sized balls. If you are wanting to be precise, they should weigh to about 240g each dough ball.
- Grab a dough ball one at a time and work the dough into itself until it form a nice shape.
- Place aside for another 30 minutes until you're ready to use. The dough should last in the fridge for 2-3 days.
- To make your pizza. Stretch the dough by hand and place onto your paper for the oven before placing on the peel.
Sue Maree P Pizza Making Tips
- My 5 favourite tools; dough scrapper, flour shaker, pizza steel, pizza peel and