Wondering how to use up any leftover egg yolks, then homemade lemon curd is just the thing. Lemon curd is delicious on toast, pancakes or you can make mini lemon tarts.
- Egg yolks – 5
- White sugar – 125g (1/2 cup)
- Unsalted butter – 3 tbsp
- Zest and juice of Lemons – 2
- Pinch of salt
- WHISK egg yolks and sugar in a saucepan then add in salt, zest and juice.
- GENTLY heat the egg mix on low whisking or stirring with a wooden spoon constantly to ensure the mixture is smooth. Cook until the mixture starts bubbling and thickens but not too much, you just want to coat the spoon.
- REMOVE from the heat once thickened and strain through a sieve to remove any lemon pith. Stir in the butter until it has melted.
- POUR into your sterilised jar or container and cool to room temperature before chilling.
SUE MAREE P BAKING TIPS
How to sterilise jars
- PREHEAT oven to 150°C or gas mark 3.
- WASH the jars and lids in hot soapy water and rinse bit do not dry them.
- PLACE in the warm oven for 10 mins.
- SOAK the lids for a few minutes in boiling water.