How to Make Easy Spelt Biscotti with chocolate
I was curious how to make an easy Spelt biscotti with chocolate and a hint of orange. I spoke to my Italian teacher Stefania and asked if she had an original Tuscan biscotti recipe. She shared her mother's secret recipe. The Italian biscuits that we call biscotti (means twice-cooked) is known as Cantucci in Italy. Make biscotti's ahead of time for Christmas and they will last for about three weeks. These biscotti's are a perfect baking gift idea for Christmas; easy to make, inexpensive and they last for at least two weeks in a sealed container or sealed bag.
Prep.= 15 minutes
Cooking time = 24-26 mins
Serves = 50-60 cookies (a lot depending on your log shape)
- Spelt or Regular Flour – 520g (about 4 + 1/8 cups)
- Sugar – 400g ( about 2 3/4 cups)
- Almonds (with skin) – 250g (about 1.5 cups)
- Eggs – 4
- Egg yolk – 1
- Baking Powder – 8g (2 tsp)
- Pinch of salt
- Zest of a lemon or orange – 1-2 tsp
- Vanilla extract – 1-2 tsp
- Optional – chocolate chips ( 1 pkt) 100g
- PREHEAT OVEN 180˚C (356˚F)
- TOAST almonds on a lined baking tray for about 5-10 minutes this helps bring out the almond flavour. Allow them to cool before adding them into the dough.
- MIX all ingredients in a large bowl with a large wooden spoon.
- ONCE the dough comes together remove from the bowl.
- KNEAD the dough on your flour bench and cut into two of three pieces and roll into a thin sausages about 30cm x 5cm (12 x 2inches). Place the dough sausages on a lined baking tray. Ensure there is space between each log as they spread slightly.
- BAKE for 18-20 minutes until golden.
- REST for 5-10 minutes before cutting.
- REMOVE and cut using a sharp serrated knife (I use my large bread knife) into slices about 1.5cm (1/2 inch thick, on a slight diagonal or not).
- REBAKE for 3 minutes each side.
- REST until cool before eating. They will be soft when they are first baked and will harden once cooled. Store in a large sealed container for 3 weeks.