I was dreaming up how could I bake a moist mint chocolate cake, and made this recipe up. Made with my favourite spelt flour, but would work well with plain flour or even buckwheat flour for a gluten-free alternative. I have included a chopped peppermint aero bar on top with the 'wow' factor real strong black coffee, ginger and a mix of different spices. If you wanted to leave out the coffee replace it with milk or water.
- 250g unsalted butter melted
- 2 eggs (medium or large)
- 200g dark brown sugar (or light brown)
- 50g cocoa powder
- 250ml (1 cup) of strong black coffee (I used a coffee bag, if you don' like coffee swap for water or milk)
- 300g wholemeal spelt flour (plain or try buckwheat)
- 1 tsp bi carb soda
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp cardamon (optional if you don't have on hand)
- 1/2 tsp ground ginger
- 1/2 tsp mixed spice
- 2 tbsp oat milk (or regular)
- 3 drops peppermint oil (optional–I forgot to add this in my video, still tastes great)
- 2-3 tbsp milk
- 115g (1 cup) icing sugar sifted
- 50g softened unsalted butter
- 3 tbsp (approx. 22g) cocoa powder sifted
- 60-80g chopped peppermint Aero bar
- Pre-heat oven 160 – 170˚C (fan), 180˚C. Grease and line a square or round baking tin.
- Mix butter, sugar and eggs until combined.
- In a separate bowl sift cocoa, spelt flour, spices and baking soda. Add this into the egg mixture and mix until combine, be careful to not over mix. Add in the milk and coffee.
- Pour into your prepare square baking tin, and bake for 30-35 mins. (check at 30mins). Better if it's not overcooked.
- Let cool for 2 hours before icing.
- Icing - using an electric mixer or wooden spoon mix until smooth the sifted icing sugar, cocoa powder, butter and milk combined until smooth.
- Using a spatula to add to the top of your cake. If you only want to ice half the cake, cut your cake in half and freeze for later. Only make half the icing mix. Add chopped mint Aero bar to the top for extra wow!