Date Caramel without Sugar
Only 4 ingredients are needed for my homemade date caramel without sugar. This date caramel is super easy to make and it still tastes great and is naturally sweet enough. I use this on top of ice cream, in my chocolate mousse tart and over stew apples, on top of pancakes and in a low carb cake recipe.
My date caramel was originally inspired by an Australian baker Natalie Paull's recipe from her Beatrix Bakes cookbook to use in a chocolate mousse tart. After testing her recipe a few times I found it a little complicated and sweet. I wanted to simplify the recipe and make it without refined sugar.
- Medjool dates (pitted and chopped) – 10 large
- Vanilla extract – 1/2 teaspoon
- Oat milk, Pea Milk or Almond milk (or your choice) – 2-4 tablespoons
- Pinch of salt (optional)
- Boiling water if it's too thick – 2-3 tablespoon
SLICE and remove the seed in your dates and chop. If you can't get soft dates you may like to soften them in a little boiling water for a few hours before making this recipes. Drain off the water then use. Blend the dates with vanilla and salt in a food processor add milk or water to make the caramel a little looser. Do this to sight and depending on what you are using the caramel for.
STORE in the caramel for up to 7 days in a sealed container in the fridge.
Sue Maree P Baking Tips
- Dates – if you use a different variety and they are harder, soak them in boiling water for a few hours or overnight and drain off the liquid. Keep the water in case you need to add it to the caramel.