My homemade baked beans are super quick to make. A tasty alternative to boring tinned baked beans that we all have had at one point in our childhood. My mother even gave me tinned baked bean sandwiches as a child. Strange eh...This recipe includes my favourite small cannellini beans and large white butter beans however, feel free to swap these out and use whatever beans you prefer.
- 1 teaspoon dark brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tablespoon of maple syrup
- 1 tablespoon of balsamic syrup (optional)
- 2 tablespoons of American mustard/ or french mustard
- 400g tin crushed tomatoes - pulsed or a 400ml bottle of passata
- 400g tin cannellini beans
- 400g tin butter beans
- Salt & pepper to taste
- Tabasco sauce to taste
- Add tomatoes, drained and rinsed beans, spices and all other ingredients and bring to the boil for 5 minutes.
- Then reduce to a low heat and cook for 20 minutes, occasionally stirring to avoid the beans sticking to the bottom. If the beans look dry add a little water.
- Serve with bread or for brunch these are great with eggs and fresh baby spinach.