Healthy White bean soup: 30-minute meal
My homemade white bean soup is a healthy meal ready to eat in 30 minutes.
This nutritious soup is quicker to make than ordering takeaway and is gluten-free and healthier. Italian inspired with a little spice. I have used small white cannellini beans, a packet of soup mix (or a small onion, 2 carrots and celery), vegetable broth, garlic and oregano, pepper and some baby spinach. We love this recipe vegetarian but you could easily add in diced or shredded cooked chicken or a little bacon or ham. This healthy white bean soup is delicious to serve with crackers or toast.
Prep. takes = 10 minutes
Cooks = 20 minutes
Store in the fridge = for 4-5 days
Freeze = 2-3 months
- Olive oil – 1 tbsp
- Soup Mix ((or a small onion or small piece of leek, 2 carrots and celery) – 1 packet
- Garlic cloves, crushed – 2
- Vegetable stock cube – 1
- Boiling water – 1000ml to 1250ml (4 to 5 cups)
- Oregano – 1/2 teaspoon
- Pepper – 1/2 tsp
- Cayenne pepper – 1/4 tsp
- Chilli flakes (optional) – 1/4 tsp
- White beans, tinned or carton – 380g/400g (1.5 cups)
- Baby spinach – 2 cups
- Grated parmesan cheese to serve (optional)
- Rinse and drain the beans. I used dried beans and cooked them the day before.
- Wash and chop all vegetables. Add oil to a large saucepan. Saute onion or leek until soften, add in crushed garlic cloves and spices and cook for about 1 minute. Add in all vegetables and cook for a few minutes. Add in beans and stock and bring to boil for 20 minutes. Just before serving toss in the baby spinach. If you are using frozen spinach add in 5 minutes before serving.
- Serve with a little grated parmesan cheese on top if you would like.