If you are searching for a new banana bread recipe that is healthier then try this one. My healthy seeded banana bread recipe with spelt flour is high in fibre and not too sweet. I created a new healthy banana bread using only 3-4 bananas. Adding my favourite sunflower seeds, pumpkin seeds, sesame seeds and flaxseed (linseed) to add more fibre and a slight crunch. This healthy banana bread is super moist, light and a perfect weekend breakfast treat. Store this in a sealed container for up to 5 days. Freeze the banana bread for up to 3 months.
Takes = 10 mins prep.
Bakes = 40-50 mins
Makes = 10-12 slices
- Ripe Banana – 3-4 (200g with skins)
- Spelt flour (wholemeal or white) – 175g (about 1+1/3 cup+1 tbsp)
- Unsalted butter – 75g (about 2/3 cup)
- Dark Brown sugar – 100g (about 1/2 cup packed)
- Large Eggs – 2
- Baking powder – 1 tsp
- Bicarbonate of soda – 1 tsp
- Sunflower seeds, Pumpkin seeds (toasted 5 mins prior), Linseed/flax seed, sesame seeds – 50g * (about 1/2 cup)
- Ground cinnamon (Optional) – 1 tsp
- PREHEAT – oven 170˚C and grease and line a small loaf tin.
- WHISK – flour, baking powder, baking soda and spices
- WHIP – butter and sugar, then add in eggs
- FOLD in flour and seeds and do not over mix. I used 40g pumpkin and 10g flax seed in the video. I usually use what I have in the cupboard.
- BAKE – 40-50mins cool slightly in the tin then remove. Tip if you bake with wholegrain flour the cake may cook quicker.
Sue Maree P Baking Tips
- FLOUR swap out the spelt flour to the flour of your choice. If you'd prefer self raising flour, leave out the baking powder and bicarb soda.
- SUGAR – I don't use sugar substitutes however, feel free to swap out if your prefer.