Hazelnut Wholegrain Spelt Banana Bread
Here's a new recipe for not-too-sweet wholegrain Spelt Flour banana bread with a crunchy hazelnut top. This new improved banana bread recipe I created to be slightly healthier; made with wholegrain Spelt flour and less sugar, less fat. Banana bread is a perfect weekend treat why not this 'cafe style' toasted with a dollop of Greek yoghurt, fresh berries and drizzle of maple syrup and a sprinkle of nuts or seeds. This cake is not very sweet. For a sweeter cake add more sugar.
Takes = 10 minutes
Makes = 10 slices
Bakes = 50 minutes
- Wholegrain spelt flour – 200g (1 + 1/2 cup + 1.5 tbs)
- Baking powder – 2 teaspoon
- Bicarb Soda, baking soda – 1 teaspoon
- Cinnamon – 1 teaspoon
- Brown sugar, loosely packed – 100g, (about 1/2 cup)
- Pinch of salt
- Unsalted butter, melted – 70g (1/4 cup)
- Large eggs – 2
- Oat Milk, or your favourite milk – 60ml (1/4 cup)
- Banana, mashed, no skins weight – 400g, about 3-4 medium size
Hazelnut Top (optional)
- Toasted hazelnuts, chopped – 3 teaspoons
- Cinnamon powder – 1/2 teaspoon
- White sugar – 1/2 teaspoon
Method: 4 easy steps
1. Preheat the oven to 180 to 190˚C, and 170˚C fan-forced and line a small 500ml (1 lb) loaf tin with baking paper. (tip - tear off 1 metre of greaseproof paper, scratch it, and wet it under a tap. Then push the scrunched greaseproof into your baking tin).
2. Whisk all dry ingredients together in a large bowl.
3. Mash banana's in a separate bowl then add beaten eggs, milk and oil. Stir to combine. Then add the liquid mix into the flour mix and combine until smooth.
4. Pour the batter into your baking tin and add a few slices of banana to the top. Bake for 45-50 minutes. To test if it's cooked, poke a skewer into the middle – if it comes out clean, it's done, if not cook for another few minutes. Cool in the tin for at least 10 minutes before removing. Serve with a little creme Fraiche, or natural yoghurt, fresh compote or berries and seeds or nuts.
Store in a sealed container for up to 3 days. Store slices in the freezer for a few months.