This fruit mince slice with buckwheat recipe is based on my raspberry coconut slice. A great alternative to fruit mince pies so much easier to make. To make this slightly healthier and gluten-free I have changed my original recipe to use buckwheat flour. I use a store-bought jar of fruit mince to make it simple and taste like a festive treat and much easier than making mince pies.
Takes = 15 minutes to prep. without baking time
Bakes = 40-45mins
Makes = 16 to 20 squares
- Buckwheat Flour (or your preferred flour)– 200g (1.5 cups)
- Castor Sugar – 150g (3/4 cup)
- Unsalted Butter (chilled) – 125g (1/2 cup or 1 stick unsalted butter)
- Large eggs – 3 eggs
- Vanilla essence – 1 tsp
- Fruit mince (store bought jar) – 411g
- Desiccated coconut – 200g (about 2.5 cups)
- PREHEAT OVEN – 170˚C
- GREASE and line square cake tin 23cm (9 inch) brownie tin
- MIX flour, 1/2 of the sugar and butter to resemble fine bread crumbs
- ADD one egg and vanilla and mix to form a dough
- PRESS into the prepared base, punch a few holes with a fork and bake for 15 to 20 minutes until golden
- SPREAD over fruit mince over the warm biscuit base
- WHISK two eggs and the balance of sugar then stir in the coconut and spread over the slice.
- BAKE 25 minutes until golden
- COOL completely then cut into pieces.