Flourless Lemon and Almond Cake
I love lemon cakes and this flourless lemon and almond cake reminds me of Italy. This lemon cake is super moist, and intensely flavoured with lemon. Naturally gluten-free and a perfect cake to whip up when you want a restaurant style dessert. I love this recipe with polenta but if you don't have polenta swap out for total ground almonds.
TAKES = 15 minutes to prepare
BAKES = 35-40 minutes
MAKES = 8-10 slices
- Polenta/ corn meal – 100g (2/3 cup)
- Ground almonds – 200g (1 + 2/3 cup)
- Large eggs – 3
- Unsalted butter – 200g (about 1 cup)
- Zest of two lemons
- Castor sugar – 200g (about 1 cup)
- Baking powder – 9g (1.5 tsp)
- Optional Syrup – juice of one lemon + icing sugar 100g (1 cup)
- Optional flaked almonds to decorate
- PREHEAT oven 160˚C, then grease and paper line a 23cm (9 inch) spring form cake tin.
- BEAT butter and sugar on the stand mixer with the paddle attachment for a few minutes.
- MIX in a separate bowl ground almonds, polenta and baking powder.
- ADD eggs to the butter mix, alternating with the flour mix. Then add in the lemon zest.
- BEAT until combined.
- BAKE 35-40 minutes until golden and the skewer (or stick of spaghetti comes out clean). Tip place a baking tray or foil under your tin in case you have any leaks from your springform cake tin.
- MIX in a small bowl or jug lemon juice and icing sugar.
- ONCE cooked if you are adding the syrup pierce the top of the cake with holes then pour over the sugar lemon mixture.
- COOL in the cake tin before serving.
- SERVE with a dusting icing sugar.
Sue Maree P Baking Tips
- POLENTA/ CORN MEAL – you don't have this on hand, swap out for ground almonds.
- DAIRY FREE – use 150ml of oil like sunflower oil instead of the butter.