I have wanted to share my simple 3 ingredient spelt flour cookie recipe for a while. Yes, only three ingredients, butter, icing/powdered sugar and flour. I have used white spelt flour but feel free to swap this out for regular flour or experiment with another alternative flour. This is made without eggs and if the butter is swapped for vegan butter, this would be a vegan shortbread cookie recipe. In my video I have used salted butter, the price of unsalted butter has increased dramatically here in Sweden over the last few months.
Over the last few months, I have been testing various combinations and methods. I found this one the easiest to do. You don't need to roll the dough with a rolling pin. Just roll into balls in your hands and press with a fork.
Takes = 10 minutes + resting time
Makes = 20 - 24 cookies
Bakes = 8-10 minutes
- Butter, soft – 175g (just under 3/4 cup)
- Sifted Icing sugar – 40g (1/4 cup)
- Spelt flour – 175g (about 1 cup + 1/4 cup)
- Optional, vanilla, orange zest, lemon zest
- Preheat the oven to 180°C fan (350°F). Line 1-2 baking trays with baking paper or use a silicone mat (the one in my video I bought from Ikea, my only regret was I should have bought two!).
- Beat butter until light and fluffy.
- Then add in the flour and beat until smooth and a dough forms. Place your dough covered in the fridge for 10-15 minutes.
- Scoop out a teaspoon of dough and roll it into a ball and place it on the prepared tray, spacing 2 cm apart (about two finger widths). Flatten the top gently with a lightly floured fork. Chill the formed dough balls for 5-10 minutes.
- Bake for 8-10 minutes until the edges are golden brown. Do not over-brown. You may need to rotate the baking trays halfway through. Transfer to wire racks to cool completely. Store in a sealed container for up to 2 weeks. I haven't tested freezing them.