Moist easy spelt apple muffins are the perfect snack to eat when you're in a hurry, even the children will love them. This delicious spelt apple muffin recipe is a version of my moist spelt banana muffins recipe and is versatile to mix and match to suit your likes. Apple muffins are made with wholegrain spelt flour or your choice, fresh diced golden delicious apples, cinnamon, pea milk (or your choice), melted butter or oil and only one egg but this could be easily swapped out for a flax egg instead to make this vegan.
Takes = 10 minutes
Bakes = 20 minutes
Makes = 12 large muffins or 16 smaller muffins
- Whole grain Spelt flour (or your choice) – 200g (about 1.5 cups)
- Ground cinnamon – 2 tsp
- Bicarbonate of soda – 1/2 tsp
- Baking powder – 1/2 tsp
- Brown sugar (light or dark)* – 120g (1/2 cup)
- Large Egg (beaten) – 1 (or flax eggs)
- Sunflower, olive, coconut or melted butter – 60ml
- Milk (I use oat or pea milk) –125ml, 1/2 cup
- Apples, chopped finely – 450g (4-6 depending on size)
- Vanilla essence or paste – 1 teaspoon
- Add a little cinnamon and white sugar to the top
- pinch of salt (optional)
PREP. oven 190˚C, 170˚C fan and grease or line muffin tray. Peel, core and finely dice apples, drizzle lemon juice from 1/2 a lemon to stop them from going brown.
WHISK all dry ingredients, sugar, flour, baking powder, baking soda, spices and salt.
WHISK egg, melted butter/oil and vanilla in a glass jug or small bowl until combined. Combine both wet and dry until smooth.
SCOOP out into muffin trays until about 3/4 full for smaller muffins, add to the add a little cinnamon and sugar to the top and bake for 20-25 minutes. Cool for 10 minutes.
Sue Maree P Baking Tips
- Brown Sugar – could be swapped out for coconut sugar or a natural sweetener. If using a liquid sweetener mix with liquid ingredients.
- Flours – feel free to swap out for your favourite flour