Easy Flapjacks (Oat Slice)
An easy spelt flour oat slice recipe, known as flapjacks in the UK. I made this for the first time a few weeks ago and oh my goodness YUMMY! This is the closest thing to a soft Anzac biscuit I have ever tried. Even this easy spelt oat slice or flapjack Sue Maree P spelt recipe is quicker to bake than cookies.
If you are wondering how to make the perfect spelt flour oat slice or flapjacks recipe to bake at home I would suggest using large rolled oats or jumbo oats and for a twist, I have added seeds for an extra healthy crunch. Anyone searching for an oat slice recipe for kids without golden syrup this is quick and easy healthy slice to make for the kid's lunch box, or an after school snack, or a post-workout snack than this flapjack (oat slice) is just the treat.
- Rolled oats (work the best) – 205g / about 1 1/4 cups
- Brown sugar – 165g / about 3/4 cup
- Desiccated Coconut – 95g / about 1 cup
- Melted unsalted butter – 125g /about 1/2 cup
- Bi Carbonate of Soda – 1/2 tsp
- Vanilla extract – 1 tsp
- Spelt of plain flour – 65g / about 1/2 cup
- Water – 2 tbsp
- Pumpkin Seeds – 25g/ about 3 tbsp
- Sunflower Seeds – 25g / about 3 tbsp
- PREHEAT – oven 160˚C Fan / 180˚C
- PREPARE – square baking / cake tin – I use a 23cm with baking paper.
- MELT butter in a medium saucepan until completely liquid.
- REMOVE from the heat.
- STIR in vanilla.
- ADD – all dry ingredients and stir until combined with a large wooden spoon.
- ADD water if it looks too dry
- PRESS – mixture into your lined tin.
- BAKE – 20-25 mins until golden.
- CUT into 20 squares after 20 minutes.
Sue Maree P Baking Tips
- Seeds – if you don't want seeds add 50g of extra oats instead.
- Vegan – for a vegan flapjack or oat slice, swap out the butter for a non dairy spread or oil
- Sugar – if you prefer a sugar alternative swap out for honey, agave nectar or maple syrup
- Don't over cook otherwise it will be too crunchy to eat