These traditional mini pancakes made with buckwheat flour are often served as canapés with Creme Fraiche or sour cream, salmon and garnished with dill. Traditionally European blinis are made with yeast. Try this quick recipe for buckwheat blini made without yeast using baking powder and a little baking soda. Try making mini gluten-free buckwheat blinis for your next dinner party. Or make larger blinis and serve with fruit and chocolate sauce for dessert.
The cooked blini can be covered and stored in the freezer if you don't need them all at once.
Takes = 15 minutes to cook
Makes = 20-25 mini pancakes, more for bite size
- Gluten-free Buckwheat Flour – 75g, 3/4 cup
- Baking powder – 1 tsp
- Pinch of salt – 1/8 teaspoon
- Oat milk, or regular milk – 150ml, about 3/4 cup
- One egg, beaten
- Oil, for frying
- Preheat your frypan and warm up before making the batter. Brush with a little oil if needed.
- Whisk flour, baking powder and salt in a bowl or jug. Then add in egg and milk and combine until smooth.
- Pour if using a jug a small circle of batter. Or use a teaspoon to add a little of the batter to the pan, cook until bubbles appear then flip over and cook for a few minutes. Continue until the batter is used. Cool before serving. Cover and store in the freezer. Defrost before using. Perfect as an hors-d'oeuvre or starter.