Creamy Potato Bake with oat milk
A potato bake is a humble but tasty side dish or this could accompany greens for a Meatless Monday dinner. Potato bake is super popular worldwide. This recipe is a creamy sauce made with oat milk and cream cheese. If you didn't want the cream cheese you could easily make a simple béchamel sauce or replace the cream cheese and grated cheese in this recipe for non-dairy or vegan cheese to make this potato bake a vegan recipe. For ease I prefer to use new or washed potatoes but you could swap this out for whatever potatoes you may have on-hand. Serves 2 you can double this for a family size.
- Thinly sliced new or washed potatoes – 500g (about 8-9 small)
- Oat milk – 300ml (about 1 + 1/3 cups)
- Mascarpone cream cheese – 250g (about 1 cup)
- French mustard – 1.5 tsp
- Thinly sliced onion – 100g (about 1 small)
- Panko or fresh bread crumbs (optional) – 1/4 cup (large handful)
- Cornflour – 20g (2.5 tbsp)
- Crushed garlic or garlic flakes – 1.5 tsp
- Paprika (optional) – sprinkle
- Grated mature cheddar cheese – 125g - 250g (about 1-2 cups depending on taste)
- Parmesan cheese (optional)
- PREHEAT oven 180˚C fan
- FRY sliced onion in a little oil in a small saucepan gently for a few minutes until soft but not too brown.
- ADD milk mascarpone, cornflour, mustard and garlic and whisk to a smooth paste and boil until the sauce thickens.
- REMOVE from the heat and add salt and pepper.
- REST for 5 minutes
- PLACE alternative layers of potatoes and a thin layer of the cream cheese sauce. Finishing with the remaining cheese sauce. Top with extra cheese and breadcrumbs and a sprinkle of paprika if desired. (what the video for step by step instructions)
- BAKE 40mins until brown.Depending on your oven it may need 50 mins.
- SERVE with greens, salad or meat.
Sue Maree P Tips
- Potatoes – no mandolin, pre boil potatoes for 15-20mins until slightly soft then slice
- Cream cheese – use other types of cream cheese or if you prefer no cream cheese then add 200ml more milk but double the cornflour and butter
- Gluten free – leave off the crunchy bread topping
- Vegan – replace cheese for non dairy cheese and use nutritional yeast flakes instead of parmesan cheese.
- Prepare for a few days prior – prepare the first 6 steps then cover with lid or plastic wrap and leave in the refrigerator overnight or for a few days then bake.