Recently shown on Great British Bake Off; here's my version of Coconut Macaroons. My coconut maroon recipe is gluten free and no condensed milk. Simple ingredients; desiccated coconut, egg whites, vanilla and sugar. Once baked either leave plain or drizzle with chocolate to make them look fancy.
This egg white version is I recently discovered is originally from Italy and dates back to the Renaissance times. It is popular for religious or dietary reasons as it has no wheat, and are gluten-free.
- 3 egg whites
- 180g (3/4 cup) castor sugar
- 200g (2 cups) desiccated coconut
- 2 tsp vanilla (optional - almond essence)
- PREHEAT oven 140˚C fan, 160˚C and line two trays with baking paper.
- BEAT egg whites until soft and creamy.
- STIR in the sugar and coconut until combined but don’t mix too much to deflate the egg whites.
- CHILL mixture for 20 minutes in the refrigerator
- ROLLS the mixture into balls and space 5cm apart
- BAKE for 30 minutes until golden.
- COOL slightly
- MELT dark chocolate either melted in the microwave for 1.5 minutes or on the stove top in a heat proof bowl over a small saucepan of water.