I made this recipe up after trying sunflower seed cookies in Germany many years ago. I love the subtle nutty flavour of sunflower seeds and I have made this recipe are gluten-free. I also love the texture, crispy on the outside and soft and chewy in the centre, with the added surprise of dark chocolate gives these cookies an extra pizzaz.
Sunflower seeds are super high in protein and low in carbohydrates, make these cookies a healthy snack with a cup of tea.
- 110g sunflower seeds ground in the food processor
- 50g sunflower seeds
- 100g dark brown muscovado sugar (swap out for light brown sugar if you have that)
- 80g dark chocolate chunk (optional)
- 2 egg whites - beaten till peaks are formed
- 1 teaspoon vanilla essence
- 3 teaspoons cocoa powder
- Preheat oven to 170˚C.
- Beat egg whites till peaked, I always use my whisk in the kitchen aid.
- Mix into all other ingredients.
- Set aside in the refrigerator for 10-15 minutes. This step is needed mainly in Summer.
- For small bite sized cookies use a teaspoon and spoon onto lined baking trays.
- Bake for 15-18 minutes or until golden brown.
- Cool for 10 minutes before eating.