Buckwheat Oat Bars: lunchbox idea
A perfect lunchbox idea, buckwheat oat bars are an easy snack to make. The ingredients are buckwheat flour, oats, coconut, butter, honey or golden syrup, brown sugar and dried cranberries. I used buckwheat flour for a slightly healthier bar, but this oat bar recipe would also suit spelt or regular flour. This oat bar has a soft texture with a pop of fruit. If you prefer a crunchy bar then cook it slightly longer. You could swap out the cranberries and add in sultana's, raisins or currants. This buckwheat oat bar is the perfect snack for your children's lunch box or an after school snack. Or an adult work snack or a quick breakfast when you're running out the door.
Takes = 10 mins
Bakes = 20 minutes (30 minutes for a crunchy bar)
Makes = 16 bars or 20 squares
- Buckwheat flour (or your choice) – 165g* (1 cup)
- Porridge oats – 100g (1 cup)
- Desiccated coconut – 75g (1 cup)
- Unsalted butter – 125g
- Honey or golden syrup – 115g (1/3 cup)
- Light brown sugar – 100g (1/2 cup)
- Dried cranberries – 40g (1/4 cup)
- Bicarbonate of soda – 1/2 teaspoon
PREHEAT oven 150˚C fan, 170˚C. Prepare the square tin 23cm square or slice tin 18cm x 28cm. Grease the base and add baking paper with the sides a little longer to lift out.
MIX flour, oat, cranberries and coconut in a large bowl.
MELT butter, sugar and syrup and gently heat in a small saucepan. Remove from the heat then add in bicarbonate of soda/baking soda. Then pour over the dry ingredients and mix until combined
PRESS and spread the mix into the prepare tin and smooth until level. Bake for 20 minutes. If you prefer a crunchy bar, bake for an extra 5 to 10 minutes. Cool completely in the tin or leave overnight in the fridge.
CUT into about 20 bars and store in an airtight container.
Sue Maree P Baking Tips
- *Flour – if you are swapping out the buckwheat flour for regular flour, then ensure you used the weighed measurement and not the cup measurement for accurate results as different flours have a different weight.
- Oats – you can you rolled oats, but the texture with not be the same.