My simple take on the classic and very popular bolognese sauce. I add the spices I like and or have on hand. You can tweak this recipe to suit your taste buds. Feel free to experiment and add other classic Italian herbs and spices like basil and oregano.
- 500g beef mince
- 400g chopped tomatoes
- 1 tbs tomato paste
- 1 tsp of sugar
- 1 onion chopped
- 2-3 cloves of garlic chopped or minced garlic
- Salt to taste
- Pepper to taste
- 1-2 tsp paprika
- 1/2 tsp Cayenne pepper (optional)
- A splash of Hot sauce (optional)
- A small bunch of Fresh Thyme (optional)
- Olive oil
- Saute the onion for 10 minutes ins olive oil with the lid on, then add the garlic and cook for another few minutes.
- Cook the mince until brown (if you have any excess water drain it off).
- Add the spices and fresh herbs cook for a minute.
- Add the tomatoes, tomato paste and sugar and stir.
- Simmer for 20 minutes until some of the liquid has reduced.
- Serve with pasta and a salad.