Gluten-Free Blueberry Crumble
This gluten-free blueberry crumble is bursting with flavour and goodness. I needed an easy and healthy dessert for a dinner party. One of my guests is gluten intolerant so I had to tweak my original crumble recipe and came up with this version. The added lemon zest to the blueberries adds an unexpected zing, that is a lovely contrast to the plump juicy blueberries. Why not make this crumble for a cheeky weekend breakfast.
Ingredients for the filling
- 400g of frozen blueberries
- 1/2 teaspoon lemon zest
- 2 tablespoons of lemon juice
- 1.5 tablespoons flour ( for gluten free use cornflour)
- 25g white sugar
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
Ingredients for the crumble top
- 52g oats (use gluten free oats if preferred)
- 50g Flour (80- 100g is swapping out for almond meal depending how crunchy you like the topping)
- 3.5 tablespoons Butter (42.6 grams)
- 16g White Sugar
- 34g brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon (optional)
- 15g coconut (reduce almond meal by 15g)
Almonds (optional extra for the top)
- Preheat the oven to 180˚C.
- Pour the frozen berries into a rectangular glass baking dish (or similar).
- Grate the lemon zest onto the berries, add the lemon juice and mix through the flour and sugar.
- To make the crumble topping, mix oats, flour, and both sugar togethers, then rub through the soft butter until combined and should be a soft crumbly biscuit texture. Sometimes when you change the flour types you may need to add more butter or add more dry ingredients to get the right texture.
- Crumble over the berries with a spoon or your fingers, add almonds at this stage if you prefer.
- Cook for 30-40 minutes until golden brown.
- Serve warm with ice cream or yogurt.