I discovered black rice recently and have enjoyed creating this blueberry black rice pudding, I have also made this using blackberries. I use frozen berries because it's not berry season here in Sweden. Precooking the black rice before making this is the best way to whip it up.
Firstly, what is black rice? No, it's not the same as wild rice. I first tasted this at my favourite lunch place Jos in a poke bowl. It has a similar texture to brown rice, but I find it more flavourful. It has a slightly chewy texture, mild flavour, and many nutritional benefits, black rice can be cooked as a sweet or savoury meal. Black rice is prepared similarly to brown rice. To avoid a starchy taste it is best to rinse the rice in cold water prior to cooking.
What is black rice?
Also, know forbidden rice. Why? In ancient China, black rice was considered so unique and nutritious that it was forbidden to eat by everyone except royalty. It has existed for over 9000 years in China and parts of Asia.
Why is black rice black? Black rice is black-purple in colour due to a pigment called anthocyanin, which has potent antioxidant properties.
Health Benefits of Black Rice
- Higher in protein than red, brown or white
- Good source of iron
- High in fibre
- Rich in antioxidants
- contains anthocyanin (also found in blueberries and purple potatoes)
- Research has found that anthocyanins have strong anti-inflammatory, antioxidant, and anticancer effects
Takes = 10 minutes (using pre-cooked rice)
Makes = 2 large serves
Ingredients for 2 large serves
- Cooked Black rice – 225g (about 1.5 cups)
- Berry jam (optional) – 1 tablespoon
- White sugar – 1 tablespoon
- Coconut cream, or plant-based milk – 1-3 tablespoon
- Water (if it is too thick) – 1-2 tablespoon
- Frozen blueberries or blackberries – 70g (1/2 cup) or more if desired
- Black sesame seeds for decoration
- I cook the black rice the day before or a few hours before making this.
- Add cook rice to a small saucepan and then add in frozen berries, sugar, jam, water and a little coconut cream then simmer for 10 minutes.
- Serve warm as a dessert with ice cream or cold for breakfast the next day.