Banana bundt cake with buckwheat flour is naturally gluten free. The nutty flavour of buckwheat flour (no it doesn't have any wheat) matches perfectly with bananas, walnuts and a hint of dark chocolate. Finished off with a little extra decadent drizzle of dark chocolate and walnuts. Banana bread move over, banana bundt cake could be my next new favourite was of making turning my bananas into something magical.
- Large eggs – 3
- Sunflower oil (or your preferred type) – 250ml (1 cup)
- Oat milk (or whole milk) – 120ml (about 1/2 cup)
- Lemon juice – 1 tbsp
- Vanilla – 1 tsp
- Sifted Buckwheat flour – 300g (2 cups)
- Baking powder – 2 1/2 tsp
- Bicarbonate of soda – 1 tsp
- Mixed spice – 2 tsp
- Dark brown sugar – 200g (1 cup + 2 tbsp)
- Bananas mashed (no skins) – 500g (about 7 small)
- Walnuts (chopped and toasted) – 100g (1 cup)
- 70% Dark chocolate chopped – 50g (1/2 cup)
- Sifted icing sugar – 50g (1/2 cup)
- 70% Dark Chocolate – 50g (1/2 cup)
- Unsalted butter – 2 tbsp
- Boiling water (if needed) – 1-2 tbsp
- Chopped walnuts – 2 tbsp
- PREHEAT oven 160˚C fan, 180˚
- MIX lemon juice and milk and rest for 10-15 minutes to sour
- TOAST walnuts on a baking tray in the oven for 5-7 minutes until fragrant. be careful not to burn
- SIFT buckwheat flour, mixed spice, baking powder and bicarbonate of soda in a large bowl
- MIX oil and sugar in a mixing bowl for a few minutes
- ADD eggs and vanilla and blend until combined
- ADD flour and milk alternating in thirds.
- MASH bananas and fold into mixture along with chopped walnuts (leaving two handfuls aside for decoration)
- FOLD in chopped dark chocolate leaving 2 tablespoons for decoration.
- ONCE combined pour the cake batter evenly into your greased bundt pan, tap your pan to ensure there are no air bubbles and smooth the batter on top for an even result.
- GREASE your large bundt tin with melted butter and a pastry brush (this method works very well, no extra flour needed)
- BAKE for 45-55 mins. Check with a skewer or piece of spaghetti (if it comes out clean then the cake is cooked through).
- REST the bundt tin on a hot damp cloth (like a tea towel) in the kitchen sink for 10 minutes this will help your cake come out easier. Using a silicone or plastic spatula help release the cake from the sides before flipping over onto a flat plate.
- PREPARE your chocolate drizzle, melt the chocolate and butter in a heat proof bowl on top of a small saucepan simmering with boiled water until the chocolate and butter are completely melted. Add in sifted icing sugar and stir until smooth. Add a little hot water if the drizzle mixture is not runny. Be careful don't not add too much water. Cool slightly.
- ONCE the cake is release from the tin and cooled for 15minutes drizzle over the chocolate and sprinkle with chopped toasted walnuts.
Sue Maree P Baking Tips
- FLOUR – swap out buckwheat flour for spelt flour or regular white flour and it will taste amazing. Please note that buckwheat flour weighs slightly more than white flour.
- MILK – no oat milk, try another plant based milk or swap out for regular whole milk
- LEMON JUICE – no lemons in the house, try using a 1/2 tablespoon of apple cider vinegar instead to sour the milk or even regular vinegar. The flavour of vinegar is slightly stronger than lemon,
- WALNUTS – these could be swapped out for hazelnuts, pecans or almonds.