A delicious way to eat berries and oats for breakfast. A crunchy golden top with a sweet and juicy berry base. This an easy recipe to mix and match to work with what berries you like or have and top with healthy spiced oats and nuts. This could be prepared the night before ready to bake in the morning. Any leftovers are still tasty and cold. I don't add anything when I serve it, but if you'd like add yoghurt or extra fruit like sliced banana. Adaptable for gluten-free and vegan diets. Also, this could be made nut free but leaving the nuts out and just making this with seeds.
Yes, it can be stored in the fridge for up to 5 days. Or portion leftovers and place in a container and freeze for up to 3 months. Defrost before serving and reheat in the microwave for 2 minutes or warm up in the oven for 20 minutes covered with foil.
Makes = 6 serves
Takes = 15 minutes prep
Bakes = 30 mins
Berry Base Ingredients
- Frozen Blueberries blueberries – 100g 1/2 a box (about 1 cup)
- Frozen Raspberries – 225g box, (just under 2 cups)
- Maple syrup – 1 tbsp
- Vanilla extract or zest of a 1/2 lemon – 1 teaspoon
Ingredients for Oat Topping
- Oats (gluten-free if needed) – 100g (1 cup)
- Ground Cinnamon – 1 teaspoon
- Ground Cardamom – 1/2 teaspoon
- Vanilla sugar (optional) – 1/2 teaspoon
- Coconut oil or melted butter – 60g (1/4 cup)
- Soya milk – 1-2 tablespoons (if dry)
- Sunflower seeds – 1/4 cup
- Chopped almonds – 3 tablespoon
- Sesame seeds – 3 tablespoons
- Preheat oven to 180˚C/ 160˚C fan. Grease with coconut oil or butter a large baking dish or small ramekins (see image above). I prefer to use 6 small ramekins.
- Mix frozen berries, maple syrup and lemon zest or vanilla in your dish or a small bowl. Scoop out into your individual ramekins.
- I melted butter or coconut oil in the microwave or stovetop in a small saucepan. Then in a large bowl mix oats, spices, seeds and nuts pour over melted butter then sprinkle over the berries and bake for 30 minutes until bubbly and golden. Serve with yoghurt if preferred and extra fruit.