Apple Sauce Wholegrain Spelt Breakfast Muffins: no eggs
Apple sauce muffins are a perfect weekend breakfast treat. Made using wholegrain spelt flour semi-healthy. This breakfast muffin uses apple sauce as a sweetener and only a small amount of sugar, spice, and the added texture of walnuts and raisins. This muffin recipe is made without eggs or dairy, so they're suitable for a plant-based or vegan diet.
Inspired by this recipe and modified to suit my taste and to balance the wholegrain spelt flour I used https://chocolatecoveredkatie.com/applesauce-muffins-recipe/
Takes = 10 minutes
Bakes = 15 minutes
Makes = 8-10
- Wholegrain Spelt Flour or your choice – 200g (1.5 cups)
- Baking powder – 1 ts
- Baking soda – 1 ts
- Sugar brown or white – 1/4 cup
- Ground cinnamon – 1 ts
- Salt – 1/4 ts
- Walnuts, toasted and chopped – 1/4 cup
- Raisins or sultanas – 1/4 cup
- Milk, oat or your choice – 4-6 tbs
- Apple sauce – 1 cup
- Oil – 4 tbs or small mashed banana or extra apple sauce
- Apple cider vinegar, or white vinegar – 2 ts
- Vanilla extract – 2 ts
- Preheat the oven to 180˚C fan and line your muffin tray with paper cases
- Whisk all dry ingredients together in a large bowl
- Mix all wet ingredients together in a jug or small bowl
- Combine wet and dry ingredients with a spatula or wooden spoon until no flour is showing.
- Measure 1 to 1.5 scoops using an ice cream scoop so that muffin cases are 3/4 full. You may only make 9-10 muffins.
- Bake for 15-20 minutes. I prefer the oven to be higher to give the muffins a better chance of rising.
- Rest for at least ten minutes before eating.
Sue Maree P Baking Tips
- Flour – this recipe is very flexible swap out spelt flour, for gluten-free flour, oat flour, buckwheat flour or regular all-purpose/plain flour
- Oil-free – leave out the oil and add in 3 tablespoons extra of apple sauce or add in a small mashed banana.
- Milk – I make this recipe using oat or soya milk, feel free to swap it out for your preferred milk.
- Sugar – if you're avoiding white sugar, swap for coconut sugar or another alternative sweetener
- Extras – add in coconut, blueberries on top, or a sprinkle of ground flax seeds.