My apple frangipane tart with spelt flour tastes as good as it looks. Don't be scared this apple tart recipe is easy. The spelt pastry is on the base only, the almond frangipane filling is mixed in one bowl and poured onto the pie crust. Topped with fresh sliced apples or you could even swap out the apples and use pears.
Easy Shortcrust Pastry
- Spelt or Plain Flour – 155g (about 1 + 1/4 cup)
- Chilled cubed butter – 90g (1/3 cup + 1 tbsp)
- Castor sugar – 60g (4 tbsp)
- Egg yolks – 2
- Cold water – 1 tsp
- Softened butter – 165g (2/3 cup)
- Castor sugar – 160g (3/4 cup)
- Eggs – 3
- Ground almonds – 230g (1 + 1/4 cup)
- Spelt Flour – 1+1/2 tbsp
- Pinch of ground cinnamon (optional)
- Washed Thinly Sliced Red apples – 2 medium
- Icing sugar on top
How to Make the Pastry
- PASTRY mix the flour and butter together until there are no large lumps of butter in a free standing mixer using the paddle attachment or using a hand held electric mixer. It should look like small breadcrumbs. Then add in the sugar and eggs until combined into a firm dough.
- PLACE the dough onto a floured surface and form a ball, flatten slightly and wrap in plastic wrap press to form a disc shape.
- CHILL in the fridge for 30-60 minutes. 60 minutes is ideal.
- TART – preheat the oven 160˚C fan
- REMOVE from the fridge and roll out on a floured surface or a pastry mat. Your aim is to roll unto the dough is about 3mm thick and a size large than your pie dish.
- LINE a loose bottom tart tin with the pastry, pressing the pastry on the edges of the tin, using a rolling pin. Chill in the fridge for 30 minutes or 15 minutes in the freezer if you're in a hurry.
- REMOVE from the fridge and press a fork into the base, cover with baking paper, and using baking beads to weigh down the paper, or rice.
- BAKE for 1o minutes. Remove the baking weight and paper and bake for a further 10 minutes.This process is called blind baking. This ensures that your pastry is golden brown and cooked.
- FILLING – to make the frangipane filling, beat the butter and sugar for 30 seconds in a bowl until light and fluffy.
- ADD in the eggs, one at a time, beating as you go, until the eggs are combined. Fold in the flour and ground almonds carefully by hand.
- POUR the filling into the pastry shell.
- TOP the filling with thinly sliced red apples (or pears) no need to peel the apples as like the look of the skin colour. If using pears you may like to remove the skin. Arrange the apple in rows from the centre in a pattern, I like to aim that every slice will have a little apple on it. eg 8 slices of tart = 8 small rows of apple.
- BAKE for 40-50 minutes until golden brown.
- COOL on the bench or in the fridge for at least 2 hours before serving. I know it will be hard to resist waiting this long.
Sue Maree P Baking Tips
- Flour could be swapped out for gluten-free flour
- Ensure all filling ingredients are room temperature
- Pastry dough can be made up to 4-5 days ahead of baking
- Place foil or a tray at the base of your oven to catch any drips (I din't do this one time and my oven was a mess!)
- Flan tin 23cm
- Rolling pin
- Baking beads (or use beans or rice to blind bake the pastry)