A spelt pizzetta is a small or mini pizza made with spelt flour. Pizzetta (mini pizzas) can range in size and shape, think of a personalised pizza you can have all to yourself. This recipe is includes spelt flour and instant yeast for a quick way to have pizzetta for a lunch snack or a starter, great for children to help you too. You can stretch and shape by hand or use a rolling pin. Both ways work fine.
Ingredients for dough
- Wholegrain or white spelt flour – 500g (about 4 cups + 1/3 cup)
- Instant dried yeast – 7g (2 level tsp)
- Oil sunflower or olive – 40ml (almost 3 tbsp)
- Sugar or honey – 10g (2 heaped tsp)
- Salt – 10g (2 heaped tsp)
- Water (room temperature) – 200-250ml (just under 1 cup)
- PREHEAT oven 220˚C fan or the hottest setting. We often use our pizza steel but in my video I have shown how it works without using a pizza steel. If using a steel bake for only 5-6mins.
- COMBINE dry ingredients with 200ml water and oil, on low to start with using a dough hook if you have a stand mixer then increase the speed to medium for about 5 minutes until your bowl is clean. If you don't have a stand mixer, use a large bowl and work with your hands for about 10 minutes until combined. You could start mixing initially with a large spoon.
- ONCE the dough is kneaded remove and place into a medium lightly floured or oiled bowl and rest for about 1 to 1.5 hours in a warm spot away from any draughts, you want the dough bowl to double in size. The timing will vary depending on how warm your house is. If you feel that your house is too cold. Turn your oven on low to heat up then on then switch off your oven and place your bowl in the oven covered with a damp cloth.
- AFTER the dough has doubled in size start forming your pizzette. I divide my dough into 6 and get about 125g each ball. You could make them smaller and get 12, by rolling out a golf ball size.
- FORM the pizzetta by using a rolling pin on a lightly floured surface or stretch with your hands until you form your desired shape, either round or oval is easiest. See the video for step by step instructions.
- ADD you toppings and bake for 8 to 12 minutes depending on how hot your oven is.
Ingredients for Potato Topping
- Thinly sliced potato – 1 medium
- Parmesan cheese – small chunk
- Mozzarella cheese – 1-2 balls
- Gorgonzola or blue cheese (optional) – 2-3 tsp
- Olive oil
Method for Potato Topping
- Drizzle olive oil on top of stretched dough
- Add thinly sliced raw potato
- Add torn pieces of mozzarella cheese
- Add grated parmesan and a small amount of gorgonzola or blue cheese
- Bake in a very hot oven for 10 minutes or until golden
- Serve with a sprinkle of salt and torn rosemary and a side salad
Sue Maree P Baking Tips
- WEIGHT – use kitchen scales to weight to the gram and you will have more accurate repeatable results every time.
- FLOUR – don't have any spelt flour, this recipe works perfectly with regular flour and wholewheat flour
- SUGAR – don't like extra sugar leave it out of this recipe
- SALT – bread making always needs a little salt but if you are watching your salt intake for health reasons leave it out.
- PREPARE your dough the day before refrigerate after it has doubled in size and rest it in a sealed container or a bowl cover with plastic. The next day remove the dough from the refrigerator 30 minutes prior to baking.