I love moist apple cakes, and I discovered this healthy apple cake recipes when I was travelling through Europe. I have adapted and played around with the ingredients and quantities over the years. I have made this recipe semi-healthy by using spelt flour and make without butter or milk so it is dairy free and good for anyone looking for a lactose free cake recipes.
Spelt flour is a good source of fibre and the texture is light and airy like wheat flour and can be substituted in baking cakes, cookies, pancakes and bread for a healthier alternative to wheat flour.
I have also baked this is both with coconut oil, melted butter and vegetable oil depending on who I am baking this for. I have also made a gluten-free version using buckwheat flour. It turns out delicious every time and it is always a favourite amongst my friends. Either baked in a loaf tin or a square tin - it works fine in both. Granny Smith apples are the best but it will also work with other apple types. I suggest buying what apples are in season.
- 2 eggs (vegan-friendly flax egg x 2)*
- 180ml vegetable oil or melted butter
- 150g sugar (option - dark brown sugar)
- 250g Spelt flour/Buckwheat or half buckwheat and half spelt (or plain flour)
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger (optional)
- 1 teaspoon bicarbonate of soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt or less if you prefer (leave out if you've used salted butter)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 500g cored, peeled and diced apple (weighed after peeled & cored) approx 4 medium apples any variety
- Preheat oven to 170˚C fan, 190˚C.
- Lightly grease and flour a loaf cake tin or 23 x 23cm square or line with scrunched baking paper.
- Beat vegetable oil (or butter) and eggs until foamy.
- Add the sugar, flour, cinnamon, bicarbonate of soda, salt and vanilla; mix well.
- Stir in the diced apples.
- Spoon mixture into prepared tin (it will be very thick).
- Bake in preheated oven for 30 to 40 minutes.
- Cool cake in tin for 10 minutes before removing.
Sue Maree P Baking Tips
- VEGAN – *flax egg recipe = 1 egg
1 tablespoon of ground flax seeds (powder) mix with 3 tablespoons of water, then set to rest in the refrigerator for 15 minutes. Then mix into your batter when the eggs needed
- BUTTER – use non-dairy butter or oil
- APPLES – granny smiths really great for cooking, but I have also used red or whatever is in season
- SPICES – feel free to mix and match spice. Swap out ginger and cinnamon for mixed spice
- BAKING – don't over mix or over cook.