I invented this sweet, tangy and moist orange loaf cake recipe after I challenged myself to make a tasty cake with oat flour. I wanted to experiment to see if I could make a low carb, gluten-free cake grinding oats and turning it into oat flour. Oat flour is one of the easiest flours to make at home. All you need is a grinder or food processor and rolled oats, and within minutes you will have made homemade oat flour. I have made this loaf cake using 100% oat flour therefore it is a great gluten-free alternative for anyone avoiding wheat. It was a success this cake is light, moist and the extra dark chocolate drizzle on top makes to even more delicious. Other alternative flours could be used if you didn't have oats on hand. However, try grinding your flour from oats, it's super simple.
Oat Flour Benefits
Whole oats are extremely nutritious, help reduce cholesterol levels in the body and are a great source of dietary fibre. Oats are higher in protein and healthy fats and lower in carbohydrates than most other whole grains. Oat flour has a silky smooth and light texture and can be used to bake with for pancakes, biscuits and cakes. It is a healthier alternative flour to bake with rather than wheat flour.
- 2 eggs
- 125g unsalted butter (room temp), non dairy would also be suitable
- 170g castor sugar
- 250g oat flour (ground at home from oats) or swap out for spelt, buckwheat or plain flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp bicarbonate soda
- 1 tbsp orange juice + zest of an orange
- 170g Greek yogurt
- 1 tbsp maple syrup
- 3 tbsp orange juice
- 50g castor sugar
- 40g dark chocolate (melted)
- Preheat oven 180˚C fan, and lined a small loaf tin.
- Beat sugar and butter together until light, and white.
- Add eggs one at a time. Then add juice and zest.
- Add baking powders to the flour and whisk slightly.
- Combine the flour with the egg mix. Mix slightly until combined don't over mix.
- Pour in maple syrup and Greek yogurt, blend until combined.
- Pour into your prepare tin and bake for 40-50mins. Check at 40mins with a skewer and if it comes out clean then it's ready.
- While waiting for the cake to bake prepare the syrup.
- Once the cake is remove from the oven, brush the syrup ix over the cake. You can poke a few holes before glazing.
- Cool for at least an hour before adding the chocolate drizzle.