I love citrus cakes, especially with lemon. This lemon drizzle cake in a bundt pan is deliciously moist and subtle lemon tang is a great afternoon treat or a sneaky breakfast cake with a coffee. Fluffy and light you won't be able to resist baking this for a treat.
- 225g unsalted butter (whipped at room temperature)
- 200g (1 cup) castor sugar
- 4 eggs
- 300g (approx. 2.5 cups) plain flour (sifted)
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp bicarb soda
- pinch of salt
- 2 tsp lemon juice + zest of a lemon
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 6 tbsp buttermilk (1 tbsp apple cider vinegar to 1 cup of milk, sit at room temperature to curdle)
- 50g (1/4 cup)sugar
- 60ml (1/4 cup) water
- 2 tbsp lemon juice
- 200g (2 cups) powder sugar sifted
- 3 tbsp buttermilk (a little at a time)
- 1 tsp vanilla extract + 1 tsp lemon juice
- 2 drops of white food colouring
- Preheat oven 160˚C – grease and flour you large bundt tin.
- Whip the butter and sugar until white and fluffy.
- Add in the eggs one at a time, then add vanilla, juice and zest.
- In a separate bowl whisk the sifted flour, baking powder and bicarb soda.
- Fold the flour mix into the wet ingredients slowly. It is important not to over beat at this stage.
- Spoon out batter into your tin and spread evenly to ensure there are no air pockets. Tap the tin before placing in the oven.
- Bake on the middle shelf for 35-40 mins. Add foil to the top of the cake for the final 10 minutes to avoid overcooking the top.
- Once bake, rest your tin for 10-15 mins on a damp tea towel to help release the cake from the pan. Gently use a silicone spatula to help release the cake from the sides and centre, then place a flat plate on the top of the cake and flip over to release your ring cake.
- Poke holes in the cake with a skewer and liberally brush the cake with the sugar syrup (this will help keep the cake moist for a few days).
- Let the cake cool for at least 2 hours, before adding the icing drizzle.
- Store in a sealed container on the bench for 3-4 days. The cake could be stored in the freezer without the icing.
*oat milk could be swapped for regular milk or another plant based milk.