I wanted to create an easy healthy buckwheat cake recipe – 3 ways or 3 recipes, First a buckwheat cake recipe, with apple; second, a recipe for a vegan buckwheat cake with banana, and a gluten-free carrot cake recipe. Buckwheat flour is naturally gluten-free, so it is perfect for a gluten-free cake recipe. I love the nutty flavour it gives to this style of cake. I have made this dairy-free using oat milk and vegetable oil, it makes this cake stay moist for days. You could swap out the buckwheat flour to use regular flour and it will work too. If you like more extra's in your carrot cake, feel free to add more carrots, nuts or raisins.
Watch the video for step by step instructions.
- 275g / 1 cup + 1/4 – buckwheat flour (or swap for plain flour)
- 250ml / 1 cup – vegetable oil
- 200g sugar / 1 cup – ( dark brown, light brown or castor) - this could be reduced to 150g if needed
- 500g / 2 + 1/4 cup – mashed banana (no skins) or peeled chopped apple or peeled grated carrots
- 2 eggs (or vegan option - 2 tablespoons flaxseed powder 6 tbsp water - mix and leave to rest in the refrigerator for 10-15 mins)
- 1 tsp bicarbonate of soda
- 1/2 – 1 tsp powdered ginger (optional)
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp salt (optional)
- Preheat oven to 180˚c or Fan forced 170˚c. Paper line your square tin, 23cm round tin or large bundt ring pan.
- Beat vegetable oil and sugar together then add the eggs and combined.
- Mix in flour, cinnamon, bicarbonate of soda, salt and vanilla; mix well. Stir in the diced apples or mashed banana or grated carrots. Spoon mixture into prepared tin (it will be very thick).
- Bake in preheated oven for 30 to 40 minutes. Cool cake in tin for 10 minutes before removing.