Yum... my coffee loaf cake is made from real coffee it is a surprisingly light and fluffy cake. It tastes delicious with a morning or afternoon coffee. I experimented and made this lactose free using my favourite with plant-based milk, oat milk (Oatly brand) and added a hint of cardamom but it would taste equally delicious with regular milk and not adding the cardamom spice if you don't have it already. This cake has a subtle coffee flavour, for a more intense flavour add espresso or strong brewed coffee.
- 3 eggs
- 200g castor sugar
- 150ml strong brewed coffee
- 75ml oat milk (you could swap this for regular milk)
- 300g spelt flour (swap for plain or wholemeal flour if preferred)
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1 tsp ground cardamom (optional)
- 170g unsalted butter
- Preheat the oven to 170˚C fan, 190˚C and line a loaf tin with baking paper.
- Beat butter and sugar together for 10 minutes until fluffy.
- Then add eggs one at a time.
- Add the dry ingredients gradually alternating with the liquid.
- Sprinkle a little sugar, cardamom and cinnamon on the top.
- Bake for 50 minutes in a fan forced oven.