My moist chocolate cake recipe that I metamorphosed into butterfly cupcakes for a friends birthday. I filled these chocolate cupcakes with a softly sweetened white chocolate cream cheese centre to hold the wings in place, and a sheer veil of icing sugar sprinkled on top. A fun treat for kids to make, and this recipe would be a great addition to a child's or a young at heart adult's birthday party. I have fond memories of my mother making butterfly cupcakes for our birthday parties. This recipe makes 12-16 cupcakes.
- Sifted Plain Flour – 150g
- Cocoa powder – 50g
- Soft brown sugar – 125g
- Bi Carbonate of Soda – 1 tsp
- Natural or Greek Yoghurt – 30g
- Vegetable oil – 105ml
- Eggs – 2
- Milk – 120ml
- Vinegar – 1 tbsp
- Strong Double Espresso Coffee – 20-30ml
Cream Cheese White Chocolate Filling
- White Chocolate Chips – 50g
- Unsalted butter – 50g
- Vanilla Extract – 1 tsp
- Icing Sugar – 50g
- ADD vinegar to the milk to curdle for a few minutes.
- PREHEAT OVEN 160˚C Fan, 180˚C. Line with paper baking cases or grease cupcake tray.
- SIFT the flour and bi carb soda.
- WHISK all the dry ingredients sugar, sifted flour, baking soda in a large bowl and set aside.
- MIX using a large bowl or glass jug all the wet ingredients, eggs, curdled milk, coffee, yoghurt and oil.
- COMBINE gently the wet and dry ingredients until just mixed.
- BAKE in the oven for 15-20minutes until soft and springy to touch.
- COOL completely before filling.
- FILLING – melt the white chocolate either short 30sec zaps in the microwave, or place a heat proof glass bowl over a small saucepan filled halfway with water. Simmer until the chocolate is melted. Cool slightly for approx. 10 minutes before adding in with the icing mix.
- MIX the butter and sifted icing sugar until slightly smooth. Add the cream cheese, then drizzle the lemon juice and add the cooled white chocolate. You may need to use an electric beater to help make a smooth paste.
- BUTTERFLY WINGS – cut a small circle and scoop out the cake, fill the hole with 1 tsp of the white chocolate cream spread. Cut the cake circle in half to make the wings. Place the straight side of the wing half into the filling and sprinkle with icing sugar. The cakes are best eaten straightaway. If the temperature is warm in your house store in the refrigerator, however, they may go a little dry. Cakes suitable to freeze without the filling.