Apple crumble or crisp (as it's called in some countries) is a classic dessert or pudding perfect comfort food. I love the chilled leftovers for breakfast the next day. My apples are gently spiced with cinnamon and a hint of lemon, no extra sugar, and the crunchy topping is almost like biting into an Anzac biscuit with oats, coconut, cinnamon, dark brown sugar and a little flour of your choice.
This inexpensive dessert/pudding is always a winner in our house. I have used both red and green apples and it tastes great with either it is cheapest and best to use what's in season. Often the cheapest apples are the ones in season. In my recipes I prefer to pre-soften my apples on the stovetop first then it doesn't taste too long to bake. Serves a generous 6 serves or 8 modest.
- Apple red or green – medium 6 to 8 / about 600g – 800g
- Ground Cinnamon – 1-2 tsp
- Lemon – 1-2 tbsp
- Water – about 1/4 cup
- Chilled Cubed Butter – 90g / about 1/2 cup + 2 tbsp
- Brown sugar – 50g / about 1/4 cup
- Rolled Oats – 50g / about 1/2 cup
- Desiccated Coconut – 30g / about 1/3 cup / 5 tbsp
- Plain Flour / Spelt Flour – 65g / about 1/2 cup
- Flaked or slivered almonds (optional) – sprinkle
- Ground cinnamon – 1/2 tsp
- PREHEAT oven 160˚C fan / 180˚C
- GREASE with a little butter a pie dish or glass casserole dish (I use my rectangular lasagne dish)
- APPLES – peel, core and dice your apples and place into a saucepan.
- ADD water, squeeze the juice of half a lemon and sprinkle of cinnamon.
- BOIL for 5 minutes with a lid on, then remove the lid and simmer for 15-20minutes until soft. Check that the liquid is not completely evaporated. It works best if the liquid slowly evaporates but your apples don't stick or dry to the base.
- CRUMBLE – whisk all the ingredients in a large bowl, add the chilled cubed butter and blend with your fingers tips until the mixture resembles bread crumbs.
- SPOON your prepared apples into the base of the prepare baking dish and spread evenly.
- ADD the crumble topping to the top of the apples. Spread over evening you want to completely cover the apples. You should use all the crumble topping up. If you prefer and lighter topping don't use it all.
- BAKE for 25 – 30 minutes until crunchy and golden brown. Check at 20 minutes to make sure it's not cooking to much,
- REMOVE from the oven and rest for 5 - 10 minutes before serving. We love this dessert with vanilla ice cream. But feel free to add custard, and or cream.